We are currently CLOSED for submissions.
We will open again on 7/30/2024.
**The guidelines below remain here for reference only and may shift from year to year. We update these just before opening every year thus the guidelines below, when we’re closed, are from the year prior and should not be relied on as definitive.
The annual Best of the Net Anthology is a project of Sundress Publications.
- Submissions must come from the editor of the publication (journal, chapbook, online press, etc), or, if the work is self-published, it may be sent by the author.
- Submissions must have originally appeared online, though later print versions are acceptable.
- The poem, story, or essay must have been first published or appeared on the web between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023.
- For journals and presses, each entry may include up to:
-two works of creative nonfiction
-and three works of art.
- For individuals submitting self-published work, please nominate no more than two pieces, regardless of genre.
- Submissions should include the URL of the poem, story, art, or essay AND a full-text version in a Word (.DOCX) or PDF document. —If the website or journal requires payment for viewing, please email the editors with a code or way to allow access. Pieces that require payment for access and for which we have no way to view them in the journal itself will be disqualified.
- All submissions must include the author’s name and email address as well as the name, contact info of the nominating editor, and URL of the journal.
- Art submissions may be the cover art or pieces that were featured in an online journal that primarily features writing.
- We will make every attempt to contact journals that submit incomplete information. However, entries that remain incomplete three days after the close of submissions will be disqualified.
- Book reviews are not eligible.
- Comics: Editor’s choice. Comics may be submitted under any appropriate genre, but may only be submitted once. If the editor would like to have it considered as fiction, nonfiction, or poetry, that’s just fine. The editor may alternatively submit the piece under the art category.
- Thank you for thinking of us, but Best of the Net staff are not eligible for nomination.
- Sundress staff members and interns (that are not also BotN staff) are eligible for nomination and they may be named finalists by the judges but they are not eligible to win.
- As with Sundress staff, Sundress-sponsored journals are eligible to nominate works from their journals, and the works may be named as finalists by the judges but they are not eligible to win.
- Former staff and all Sundress authors are eligible for nomination and can win if selected by the judges.
- The submission window closes (firmly) on September 30th, 2023.
All participating journals, presses, or individuals will receive a link within the anthology site when the issue is released regardless of whether their submissions were chosen. A complete list of finalists will also be published.
By submitting work to the Best of the Net anthology you are acknowledging the right for the work to be republished on our website as part of our annual anthology.
For more information or any questions you may have, please email Managing Editor Tennison S. Black at email@example.com.